(a) The provisions regarding familial status in this part shall not apply to housing intended and operated for persons 55 years of age or older. Housing qualifies for this exemption if:
(1) The alleged violation occurred before December 28, 1995 and the housing community or facility complied with the HUD regulations in effect at the time of the alleged violation; or
(2) The alleged violation occurred on or after December 28, 1995 and the housing community or facility complies with:
(i) Section 807(b)(2)(C) (42 U.S.C. 3607(b)) of the Fair Housing Act as amended; and
(ii) 24 CFR 100.305, 100.306, and 100.307.
(b) For purposes of this subpart, housing facility or community means any dwelling or group of dwelling units governed by a common set of rules, regulations or restrictions. A portion or portions of a single building shall not constitute a housing facility or community. Examples of a housing facility or community include, but are not limited to:
(1) A condominium association;
(2) A cooperative;
(3) A property governed by a homeowners' or resident association;
(4) A municipally zoned area;
(5) A leased property under common private ownership;
(6) A mobile home park; and
(7) A manufactured housing community.
(c) For purposes of this subpart, older person means a person 55 years of age or older.
(FR-4094-F-02, April 2, 1999)