|225 South Chester Road, Suite 1|
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Phone: (610) 604-4411
Fax: (610) 604-4424
Executive Director: James Berry
The Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia is the oldest fair housing council in the country. Founded in 1956, the Council is a private non-profit organization working for freedom of housing in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties in Pennsylvania. The Council:
- Sensitizes communities to the problems of housing discrimination, fair housing laws, and the advantages of open neighborhoods.
- Counsels and assists homeseekers who may have experienced discrimination or harassment.
- Works for enforcement of state and federal fair housing laws.
- Investigates complaints of housing discrimination in the rental or sale of a home, in acquiring a mortgage or homeowners insurance.
- Educates housing providers, Realtors, lenders, local governments, and other organizations about the importance of abiding by state and federal fair housing laws.
- Generates an awareness of peoples rights under the Fair Housing Act through various educational activities and responds to fair housing issues in the community.